Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Ex-it Strategy

Apparently there is something about me in a black dress that turns my ex into a "frat boy." Of course, this metaphor only stretches so far, as I have numerous "frat boy" friends, and my being in a black dress actually makes them substantially nicer to me. Unfortunately for this lucky individual, by "frat boy" she means "teenage boy" and thus reacts to said outfit with an edge of distaste and fear of cooties. This is all fine, we've been doing this dance for a few years now, and I try not to take it personally. 

Last Saturday I was so lucky as to be both wearing a black dress and in my ex's company, and it took only me arriving for the ridicule to start. I withstood these smirks for about forty-five minutes before it just got plain uncomfortable. That, and I'd finished my whiskey soda, so it was new drink or new party. I decided that as fun as frat boy was making my evening, I missed my similarly dressed friends on the lower east side.

Another comment hit me like a tennis ball and that was it! I'd had enough! No more comments! No more making me uncomfortable for looking nice! And I was very proud as I announced this to the room - with most of its guests not giving a shit if I was in a skirt or a towel - that I was Leaving! Goodbye! I turned to make my theatrical exit (take that, frat boy) when I walked into the wall.

I had a choice: show that my nose may or may not be bleeding or deal with it in a taxi.

Theatrical indeed.

1 comment:

ali said...

Epilogue: The buzzing of my cell phone woke me the next morning. Rubbing my aching nose, I checked my texts, and found one from my "frat boy" ex (who, midnight having passed and her own hangover having set in, had turned back into a pumpkin): "Sorry I was a jerk. I thought the dress looked cute."

Of course, I had known all along that she liked the dress; all I had to do to reach this conclusion was remember the effect a certain similar-length denim mini skirt had had on her in the days when our "dance" was a little more fun. And so, to make a long story short, I forgave her, and let her steal a lot of really awesome music from my hard drive.